On Wednesday 15th November 2017, children from Year 5 went on mind-blowing residential to Kingswood. After they arrived, the children were split into four groups and assigned their dormitories.
Once they had been given a tour of the facilities, they began their first challenging task – making their bed! The first round of activities then begun. Surprisingly, the activities went on until late (9pm), however the children were still eager to stay up a little longer for hot chocolate and treats.
It was an early start on Thursday, with the instructors raring to show us the next round of challenging activities on offer. The huge range of activities included aero-ball, 3G swing, nightline, zip-wire, leap of faith, bouldering, outdoor lazar, archery, fire-lighting and raft/buggy building. With each activity, there was a particular cheer to get us motivated. These included: burn baby burn; I came in like an aero-ball; and I can shoot, shoot, shoot like Robin Hood.
Many of the children said that they pushed themselves further than they ever thought they could go and for this they were proud of themselves. Here are some of the best bits:
- My favourite part was the zip-line because I said I wouldn’t go on, but I climbed to the top of the tower (Cadie).
- This was the scariest but most satisfying three days of my life and I really enjoyed the 3G swing (Ella).
- My favourite moment was when I faced my fear of heights on the 3G swing (Teigan).
- I set myself a challenge just to get half way on the leap of faith but I went to the top (Harri).
- I am really proud of myself for going on the 3G swing because once I got up there I cried, but I enjoyed it more than I expected (Abbi).
Not only this, but the behaviour of our children was impeccable and even the Kingswood staff complemented us on this several times. Every single child should be proud of their achievements; they are superstars!
(Blog post written by the children of 5SR/RO)