Wellgate Primary School has extensive grounds and next to the main building we have a separate Foundation Stage One building which caters for a 26 place nursery where we offer morning and afternoon sessions.
This stage covers education for the children from birth to the end of the reception year. It is a distinct stage and important both in its own right and for preparing children for later schooling. Aspects in the seven areas of learning are intended to provide a secure basis for children’s future learning, and give an indication of what children know and can do by the end of the reception year, through Foundation Stage Profile.
The seven areas of learning are
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language (speaking and listening)
- Physical Development (including fine motor skills, gross motor skills and health and bodily awareness)
- Literacy (reading and writing)
- Maths (counting, understanding number, calculation, shape, space and measure)
- Understanding the World (geography, history, science and ICT)
- Expressive Arts and Design (music, drama and role play, design and technology)
The curriculum is carefully planned to ensure the children have experiences in all areas and that they can learn through play activities and active learning, both indoors and outdoors. The children are encouraged to develop as independent learners.